ATEG Archives

October 2007

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2007 15:26:19 -0400
Scott,
M.A.K. Halliday's "Intonation in the Grammar of English" is due out any
day from Equinox. You can preorder it from amazon. From what I
understand, it's written in a reader friendly (don't have to be a
linguist) way.
Natalie is right on target with her comments, and I'll just expand on
that a bit even though it has been a few years since I looked back at
any of this stuff.
I think the two major lines of thought of twentieth century poetics have
to do with the theory of the line (once broken free from set metrical
patterns) and the theory of the image (once the poem became free from
too great a dependence on theme.)
It’s interesting to look back at the century and find such wonderful
practitioners of the poetic “line” and see them struggle to find words
for it. You would have to include Pound: “Compose in sequence of the
musical phrase, not in sequence of the metronome.” He tends to see the
push of the line as sensitive to quantity for the first time in
centuries (think of Sandburg or Whitman), and he also had a very strict
sense of what a poem should aspire to, with much of “free verse” not
meeting those high standards. I like to think of it as similar to jazz,
which may free itself from a strict melody, but still requires a very
sophisticated listening. (Of course, it is not just intuition, but
something that can be understood in formal terms, but the poets lack
that formal understanding, however well they might hear it.) For
Williams, I think much of it was an attempt to let poetry reflect much
more of an American speech, free from the “iambic” hold on poetry, which
he thought was truer to British patterns. Williams is the first I know
of to successfully lay out spaces on the page, so that all the lines
didn’t have to go back to the left hand margin. I'm still not sure what
he means by "variable foot" except that it frees us up from too much
regularity. One very influential theoretician was Charles Olson,
especially his “Essay on Projective Verse” in the early fifties, which
advocates a connection between the line and the breathing of the poet.
Levertov, I think, was heavily influenced by Olson and Robert Duncan,
whose essays on prosody I find almost unreadable, but who did
orchestrate very formal pauses into his poems. From what I understand,
you could actually see him count off beats during pauses between lines
and parts of lines. Ginsberg used to credit Olson and say he himself had
a “bardic breath”, heavily influenced by the Old Testament. If you look
at Howl, something you probably can’t do in seventh grade, you can see
how long he expected to carry a “breath line” before pausing; the
regular typed line isn’t long enough, so he had to tuck lines in. To
hear Creeley read was to hear almost the opposite, a very clipped and
anxious voice. Both poets are available in recorded form, so it might be
fun to hear how they read their own "open form" poems, using the line as
an orchestration tool. You can make the case that a very wonderful
poetry was written out of this confusion, but very little theory that
makes much sense outside the history of the poems. In other words, the
theories may give us insight into how to read the work of particular
poets, but they don't shed much light on intonation and how it works.
As Natalie points out very well, there is no conscious sense of
intonation as a meaning-making system. They tend to believe that the
meaning connection is there, but expect it to be intuitive. The
traditional understanding is all centered on the syllable, on the
alternation of stressed and unstressed, and the repetition of these
patterns, called “feet.” Modern poetry has freed us up from this, but
does not explain itself very well.
The question of how we should read a free verse (or open form) poem is
not easy to answer. Certainly a line break means something, though it
may mean more for some poets than it does for others.
A good deal of poetry nowadays is performance poetry, written to be
"performed" rather than read on the page. I sometimes have good luck
with a beginning poetry class (admittedly college) by asking for
alternative readings of a poem. Instead of "interpreting" the poem
(which I think is problematic in so many ways), I ask them to come up
with different ways of saying it, and then I ask which is the best and
why. I don't know how much comes out of that, but it is always a fun
class, with lots of participation.

Craig