ATEG Archives

July 2006

From:
Patricia Lafayllve <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:24:42 -0400
Hello, all,

Phil makes a good point here regarding subject/verb agreement and all the
other parts of traditional grammar that go along with it.

I've been following this thread with interest since I returned from
vacation, and I have a practical sort of question to ask.  Pardon my lack of
experience - I'm still in the process of my Master's Degree and am not yet
teaching.

Here is my question: As a whole, is it easier for students to grasp the
details of grammar after being presented with the "big picture?"

Also: Can we give students a theoretical structure in which to hang grammar
as they learn it?  If so, what seems to work best, in your experience?

Personally, I do believe that both prescriptive and descriptive means are
necessary and indeed complimentary in the teaching of grammar.  However -
I'm still at the "theory" phase, having not dealt with the actual practice
of teaching (again, not yet!) and am struggling to develop my own paradigms.

Am I making sense here, or do I need more coffee?

-patty