CONNELLS Archives

July 1998

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Kline, Evan J." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jul 1998 17:47:03 -0400
  I've finally freed up a minute to talk about Surfstock.
  My fiance and I drove part way from Harrisburg, PA on Thursday night,
and then left from her grandmother's house (30 minutes east of Philly)
Friday at 10:00 a.m., fought through bad traffic, and hit the Surf Club
at around noon.
  The place was PACKED.  We had to climb over bodies to look for
somewhere to put our beach chairs.  The only spot we could find was
right at the edge of the water - every now and then we had to grab
everything as a wave splashed over us.
  Maybe I'm getting old, but it turned into a really long day.  Out of 8
bands, the Connells played 7th, not going on until around 6:00.  The
wait was worth it, though.  Their set was short (although longer than
any of the previous bands) but very lively.  I don't think I've ever
seen Mike more enthusiastic.  He was bouncing and jumping around, with a
huge smile on his face the entire time.  Doug thanked the crowd for
surviving the day.  The new stuff sounded very tight and lively,
although a couple of the old songs had more kick and the crowd seemed to
know better.  People around me did seem to recognize Crown, however.  As
best as I can recall, the set list, in no particular order, was as
follows:

Fun and Games
Maybe
Curly's Train