CONNELLS Archives

August 2000

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Dilip Chandran <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 23:21:29 EDT
What a great idea for the Connells too!!!!!!  I would at least recommend a
greatest hits album.  It would be tough to narrow down to 14 or 15
songs----but Squeeze did a great job with Singles 45's & Under.  I remember
buying that Squeeze tape and later the disc---and then going back and buying
their entire collection.

I'm a huge Alarm fan and I thought I had all their stuff---until now.  I'll
gladly fork over the 99.99 pounds for their box set and I'd do that for The
Nells as well.  How do we get pound symbols on our computers???.  I was just
in England for three weeks and I'm bummed that I didn't check this message
until now.

Dilip Chandran

>From: [log in to unmask]
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Idea for Connells (NCC)
>Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 18:08:01 EDT
>
>This could be an idea for The Connells since they are on their own label. I
>don't know the legalities of it all, but another band I adored from the
>'80's, The Alarm, had a great idea and here is an article about what they
>did. By the way, I bought The Alarm 2000 boxset and am just elated with the
>quality of the cds. A great find indeed :)
>
>=========
>Stop me if you think you've heard this one before.
>=========
>
>THE ALARM The Alarm 2000 Collection (21st Century)
>
>Who would have thought it? Briefly famous blow-dried passion punks from the
>1980's commemorated in a massive nine CD box set!
>What's more, front man Mike Peters has promised to record a personally
>dedicated acoustic version of each purchasers fave Alarm track to be burned
>on to a special CD for everyone buying this mail order-only monument to the
>original Cool Cymru rockers.
>Since the demise of the band's original label in the early 90s, none of
>this
>material has been available. Fear not, Peters has now licensed the lot from
>EMI and remastered the band's entire catalogue to meet the pentup demand.
>The
>Alarm (1983), Declaration (1985), Strength (1986), Eye of the Hurricane
>(1988), the live album Electric Folklore (1988), Change (1990) and Raw
>(1991)
>are now available for the first time on CD. The set is completed by another
>album's worth of demos, rare tracks and b-sides.
>Each disc has the interactive programming information that allows each
>album
>to be played in its original sequence and the set comes with all the
>original
>artwork, lyrics and exhaustive sleeve notes to which each band member has
>contributed. Potted highlights include a 1982 demo of the bands biggest
>hit,
>68 Guns, eight extra live tracks added to Electric Folklore, the last
>studio
>track the band recorded (an acoustic version of Walk Forever By My Side
>from
>the Raw album) and the first CD release for 1983's The Alarm EP.
>Releasing this package may seem a strange thing to do, but sooner or later
>rock revisionists are going to rewrite The Alarm's place in history. The
>British (English?) music press was at best sniffy towards them, but the
>band
>was the first to put Welsh language rock songs before the mainstream
>audience
>and always insisted on Welsh language support bands in Wales (including Y
>Cyrff who became Catatonia).
>For anyone other than a dyed-in-the-wool devotee, listening to the set is a
> [...]
 message to [log in to unmask] or contact [log in to unmask]