CONNELLS Archives

July 1997

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Dana McCall <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 01:00:05 -0400
>From:    Caroline Bellach <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Home, home on the range!
>
> Hi everyone! I was watching all of my connells videos yesterday
>and I noticed something weird for the first time.. did anyone notice
>that they used the same house in "Slackjawed" as in "Get a Gun"? It is a

>white plantation house with a porch that stretches around the house...
>anyone know if this house has any meaning... or do they just think
>that it is cool?

Caroline,
  I beg to differ. Those videos do feature old, neat houses. The
"Slackjawed" video features the Heck-Andrews house at the corner of
Blount and North streets in downtown Raleigh. (It's where Doug is lying
on the lawn). It is a fantastic victorian house built in 1870 by Colonel
Jonathan Heck who lived in Morgantown, WV, and ws responsible for forming
training the 31st Virginia Regiment (remember the Civil War?). Anyway, he
liked the city so much during the war, he moved here. (I got this out of
a book). It's good that the video is in B&W because the house is painted
a strange light mustard color. It looks better as a white house. It is in
terrible shape, but will probably be kept around and maybe revived one
day.
  The "Get a Gun" house, if I'm not mistaken, is in Athens, GA. I THINK
that the story is that REM's manager lived there at the time?????? It all
seems vaguely correct because one of my best friends started a promotions
company at the time (later did publicity for Hootie, DMB, the Gufs,
Orbit, Presidents of the USA, James Hall, to name a few. She currently
manages the tendoridols and Hobex, Greg Humphries' new band). I may be
mistaken on the owner, but it is something like that.