CONNELLS Archives

July 1998

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Kline, Evan J." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jul 1998 09:06:48 -0400
In an interview somewhere, maybe on the web page, the band talked about
Still Life and Curly's Train.  I think they said Curly's Train referred
to one of those trains you can put your cars on, which the band rode on
over in Europe.  As they approached a tunnell, a couple of the guys in
the band were out of the cars walking around on the train, and didn't
understand some signs in a foreign language warning them to stay in
their cars.  As they got closer to the tunnell, Curly (either an
official on the train or someone with the band) started telling them
pretty fantically to get back in their cars.  If they hadn't, it would
have been a bad scene when the reached the tunnell.  I might have some
of the details wrong, but that was the general gist of it.
  In the interview, I believe Mike said Still Life was about the fear of
(the band?) being irrelevant in today's world, with all the change.
That makes sense when you listen to the lyrics.  It almost sounds like
they're saying "Hey, we're pretty happy with where we are" (this still
life has its virtues).  "Fads and different sounds come and go but we're
still here" ('cause everything in motion leaves or is just left behind).
That's how I understand it at least.  When I first heard the song, I
mistakenly thought it was a love song and about a relationship falling
apart, and trying to convince your partner that things aren't so bad.  I
thought the "repair the broken parts" line was "repair the broken
hearts."  I wouldn't be surprised if, were the song to have mass appeal,
more people thought that it was a love song.  Love songs always seem
more accessible to the masses.
  I was thinking about Crown this morning- maybe it refers to obscurity
or trying to be noticed, or having something to say that you think is
important?  I'm not sure.  The whole song is filled with various
references about calling out, criers, etc.  That would go with an
earlier message someone wrote saying Mike's songs seem to deal less with
specifics and more with raw emotions.

My two cents,

Evan