CONNELLS Archives

June 1999

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Cheryl A. Wolf" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jun 1999 06:51:04 -0700
--- "S. Kelly Sears" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
> Local radio station has been playing The Gufs.  Is
> it just me, or
> does their song, Last Goodbye, sound a lot like The
> Connells?

(popping the Gufs latest into the ol' boom box...... )

Yeah, this song has a 'Nells-y sort of vibe goin' with
those buzzy _Ring_ gittars.  I'm probably only hearing
it 'cause I'm listening for it, though..... and the
rest if the cd is barren of Connellian analogy.

I actually first went looking for Guf-music because of
a mention of them on this listserv sounding like the
Connells, and I've grown to like their music
immensely.  (So much so that _Collide_ has taken it's
rightful place in the exhalted and varied pantheon of
cd's the husband will smash into a million tiny pieces
if I *ever* again play them in his presence.) Anyway,
I've never thought The Gufs  sounded like the 'Nells
except in a very superficial "sensitive-voiced tenor
vocal over intricate guitar line, three and a half
minute verse verse chorus bridge chorus verse" kind of
way... their sound is much more of the current
generation of harder-edged "alternative pop".  Nice to
know their latest is getting some airplay, btw.  The
first cd for Atlantic tanked.... pick it up if you see
it in the used bins, though.  It's worth a listen.

Yours truly,
Cheryl

===
You can fight the sleep, but not the dream.... -Neil M. & Brian T., the fabulous Finn bros.