CONNELLS Archives

July 1998

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Cheryl Wolf <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jul 1998 22:44:25 EDT
Thought one or two of you might be interested in this post to r.m.r:

Subject: Re: Other early 80's bands
From: [log in to unmask] (VWbus1975)
Date: Sun, Jul 26, 1998 04:39 EDT

>Anyone got any recommendations for early 80's pop bands which I would like?

I can't be a judge of what you'd like or not, but there are some *great*  80's
bands.

People have mentioned the Windbreakers (as well as Tim Lee/Bobby Sutliff
material), the db's, Dream Sydicate, Let's Active, and the Housemartins, Jason
and the Sorchers, Zietgeist/The Reivers, and Misson of Burma which are all
excellent bands.

Also try out Guadalcanal Diary (shame on you Hank for not metioning them), The
Sidewinders, Tommy Keene, The Bongos, Uncle Green, Translator, The Lyres,
Marshall Crenshaw, The Lilac Time, and The Connells (the 80's material is
fabulous).

My favorites are The Feelies (Peter produced The Good Earth) and Grapes of
Wrath.

You may have some trouble locating a lot of this stuff on cd. I know that a
lot
of the Crenshaw material, The Feelies, The Connells, The Bongos, and The
Housemartins stuff is still in print.  You should be able to turn some of this
stuff up in used bins, but the majority of these artists aren't available on
cd
easily.  Now wouldn't be a bad time to invest in a turntable (if you don't
already have on) since most of these albums on vinyl can be easily acquired
for
a few bucks apiece.

plowboy
1975 Westy    "There's no hope in hindsight" -Gladhands
"If I am one to follow, who will stand alone?" -REM
"Judge not lest ye be judged"