CONNELLS Archives

July 1999

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Cheryl Wolf <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 22:25:18 -0400
I've always been more amused than I should be by the line in 'Circus Monkey'
song #1 that references "tilting at windmills," as well as by how studied
the stylistic quoting of the Replacements by 'Circus Monkey' is ( am?
are? ), particularly in 'Circus Monkey' song # 1 & 'CM' song #2......  but
"pretend rock" movies are generally like that, aren't they?  For instance,
the soundtracks for "Grace of My Heart" and "That Thing You Do" both make
for great "name the borrowed bit of that tune" parlor game fun for oldsters
like myself....   Certainly my profound ignorance of that new-fangled
"alt-rock" you young'uns listen to would leave me scoreless if faced with
the Jeopardy category, "Musical Influences for 'Bandwagon' soundtrack
songs."

Not writing in real English *or* goin' to Chicago, I am, as always,

Cheryl  ( who would gladly give up Krispy Kreme donuts for the rest of her
life to hear Doug MacMillan sing "God Give Me Strength" just once )