CONNELLS Archives

September 1996

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
William Cross <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Sep 1996 23:11:56 -0600
Hi all,

On the subject of covers, when I saw them after Fun + Games was released,
they played "Don't Bring Me Down" by ELO, during Boylan Heights tour they
covered a Rod Stewart song whose name I can no longer remember after
nearly 9 years.  For the One Simple Word tour, they did the Split Enz song
that they put on the Freedom of Choice record, "I Got You", I think.  This
was also different because it was essentially a solo acoustic number for
Doug, which may have been a good way to introduce his story about nearly
getting arrested in Salt Lake City for supposedly shoplifting a pack of
gum.  I'm pretty sure they covered something on the Ring tour when I saw
them but I can't remember what the song was.

To the person who posted the Kansas City date, I would greatly
appreciate your emailing the date to me ([log in to unmask]), because
if the dates work out I will drive the 800 or so miles from South Dakota,
as I have lots of vacation time coming up and relatives in the area.

I would also like to thank the people who brought up the hollowbodies.  I
got a chance to hear "lame" this last week and it is just phenomenal.
Thanks.

Other good music:

Thrush Hermit (sort of Husker Du-ish) and the Superfriendz (the latest
Canadian Beatles) both from Halifax Nova Scotia.

the Crabs  "Brainwashed" on K Records Olympia WA is also really good in a
sort of Spinanes-y way.

Share and Enjoy

Bill Cross