CONNELLS Archives

October 2000

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Cheryl Wolf <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 10:09:27 EDT
Last evening was the second anniversary of Peele's final show as a
Connell.....  the follow-up album to _Still Life_ was originally scheduled
for release in "fall 1999" ... and the 'October' that the self-released cd
was supposed to be released in is obviously not *this* October.

Anyway..... for the past few months, I've been engaged in a fascinating
e-mail dialogue regarding the "when's and where's and why's" of the Connells'
commercial stumblings and musical direction;  more and more I see the culprit
to be an inablity (for various reasons) to seize upon (and build on) the
various small successes they did have.  And tangentially, I wonder where the
band would have ended up musically had their recording history not been one
of fits and starts....

For example, BH, F&G and OSW were all released within a three year period;
each album built on the sales of the one preceding, and while each album also
has a distinctive "sound" (for good or bad), I think there is a real
continuity within that group of recordings.

Had there not been a protracted legal thang betwixt the band and TVT in the
early part of the 90s, there most likley would have been another album in '91
or '92 - let's call it _5_, shall we? ;)   What would _5_ have sounded like?
Surely it wouldn't have been the same as _Ring_, would it?  I mean, some of
the songs from _Ring_ would have been on _5_, but I think the approach would
have been very different;  the albums up to and including OSW  bespeak
'youth;'  _Ring_ is just achingly about being an adult... the logical
thematic and musical transition between the two albums is simply not there.
It's lost in that blank three years....

And then there is the three years between _Ring_ and WFAD.... and again,
presumably, a 'lost album.'  (Can't really call that one _7_, can I? ;)  Best
settle for _Son of Ring_ or SoR for short, methinks....)  So....what would
SoR have sounded like?  Would it have built upon the commercial and critical
success of _Ring_?  Would WFAD have even *happened*???

It's probably just the Nyquil talkin' -
caw

n.p.  Teenage Fanclub - Howdy!

 message to [log in to unmask] or contact [log in to unmask]