CONNELLS Archives

October 1996

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Bill Mosko <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 1996 13:13:06 -0500
Happenings ten years time ago, or something like that...

I've seen the Connells every time they've hit Philly including this tour.
At JC Dobbs in '87 they were fantastic!  I declared them my favorite band
then  and they still are. The new CD for me is actually a standing still for
them as far as great songwriting which for most bands is a bad thing.  I
feel that on this CD they just wanted to put the tunes *they* wanted on the
CD without any outside pressure.  These songs are *fun* for them and it
feels like I am on the outside looking in on the band as they *enjoy*
themselves.

I talked with Doug before the Philly show for about half an hour about the CD.
He couldn't understand why people on this list couldn't get into the "weird"
stuff. He said The Adjective Song was one of the bands favorites because it
was a simple song with a great melody; I agree.  I told him I loved the
band's melodies the most, they write fantastic tunes, he nodded and was very
into the fact that their tunes are the thing.  I also told him about the
George song discussion, I said he is like Neil Young to the band's Beatles
and he laughed and liked that comparison very much.

Doug said he *has* to get on the net and this list because he's really
interested from talking to list members in person, but Peele's the one
that's into the net thing so, Hello Peele!

Hello to Kimberly, if you've made this list.  Kimberly made mention when
talking with Doug that Smoke was her favorite.  Doug and I were surprised
and I asked him what the song was about.  I thought it had something to do
with two guys doing something in the van and Doug had to think twice when I
said that.  I thought maybe... but no he just got married...  We laughed.
Before they started the song on stage Doug knelt down and said "Folks, it's
time to get serious.  I want to tell you something about this song....oh
forget it"
Very funny to those of us who knew what he was talking about. hehehe.

BTW the philly show was ok.  Dave had a bad stomach but held up.  The crowd
was sparse but all came up front when the band came on.  They did the usual
set list and that Christopher Cross song...something about a gigolo...

Blah blah blah...sorry this is so long.

Bill