CONNELLS Archives

March 1997

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 1997 13:20:00 -0700
This is my first Connells post so I'm pretty excited.  I've been keeping
pretty low, thinking all of these members have probably been fans since our
boys started teething, and my introduction was just  74-75, on the radio in
Phoenix AZ. I figured you guys felt about the Connells as I do about the
Gin Blossoms (you know, I knew them when...) Anyway, I was a little out of
it back then (spent my high school days in Northridge, CA-yup, home of the
whopper earthquake- listening strictly to the Beatles, Bread and other
oldies) but I even so I ran right out into the 1 million degree heat and
bought Ring.  Now that I am in Utah, there are more Connells fans mostly
because BYU draws from all over.  I met a guy from Tallahassee who wanted
to play little acoustic shows with me, and he spoke of the Connells like
they were as standard musical knowledge as REM, and we worked a few songs
into our show...I was pretty excited because until then Ring was the CD I
would stick in my car to wow and impress ignorant dates and such.  Nobody
knew them but everybody liked them.  When WFAD came out I heard a DJ on X96
(?) annouce its release, and comment, hey the Connells are a great band, go
buy this...But the first place to have it was Media Play (I don't know if
this is national). Circuit City also carries older connells- they also had
the early wallflowers when no one else did.  Anyway, I would just like to
say that I have yet to see the Connells live- I had to go to Phoenix when
they were in Salt Lake, but I sent my fiance and cousin and other friends,
who all agreed it was one of the best live performences ever.  My boyfriend
was kind enough to get me  a drumstick and setlist (he said there is a
really cool roadie with many peircings and short hair who procured the
aforementioned memorabilia, do you know the one?)  Whew...I promise not to
be so longwinded next time :)

Kelly,
Provo, Utah