CONNELLS Archives

March 2001

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Michael Donnelly <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 10:37:20 -0500
I have a question I thought someone on the list may be able to answer. Does anyone know who performs the song which plays in the backround during the HBO promos shown right before the sopranos. it sounds like U2 and the words are something like "bringing me in.. checking me out" it's driving me crazy! thanks for your help,Mike
>>> [log in to unmask] 03/08/01 02:09PM >>>
from The (Raleigh) News and Observer, Sept. 4, 1987

Brighter days ahead for the Connells
by Mary Cornatzer, Staff Writer

Good things just keep happening to the Connells.

Doug MacMillan, Peele Wimberley, Mike Connell, David Connell and George
Huntley -- the guys who make up the Raleigh band -- play guitar based rock
that shows influence from '60s British pop and American rock.  And a lot of
people like the sound.

Last week they signed a recording contract with the New York based TVT
Records -- the company that released the two successful volumes of
"Television's Greatest Hits" and in the coming weeks their second album will
get national distribution.  This comes after last winter's successful
"Darker Days" LP and their MTV debut.

The band's first album for TVT, "Boylan Heights," produced by Mitch Easter,
will be released to radio on Sept. 21, but don't look for it in the record
stores until early October.

Tom Carter, the group's manager, said the TVT contract would mean a higher
touring profile for the band, sending them across the country for most of
the fall and winter.  They should end up the East Coast part of their tour
back home in Raleigh before the Thanksgiving holidays and are  making plans
to hold another Foodstock concert to benefit the Food Bank of North
Carolina.

The signing makes the Connells only the second act on the TVT label;  it's
also home to Australia's Saints.  Steve Gottleib, head of the label, told
Billboard magazine the he was holding out for bands the he could make a
major commitment to.

And Gottleib thinks the Connells are a band he can support 100 percent.

"They're a tremendous talent," he said in a phone interview from New York.
"They write wonderful songs.  They're a very moving band, very melodic.  I
signed a band that doesn't have any pretense.  They're not a hairstyle band;
they're a band of fine musicians and great songwriters with a vocal quality
that's somewhat reminiscent of the Byrds.

"They have a musical sound on the cutting edge..... My expectations are that
they will establish themselves on the musical landscape very quickly as an
important voice.  I expect great international success for them, too.  The
Connells are no longer just a North Carolina band."

Gottleib's enthusiasm was one of the reasons the band signed with TVT, said
Huntley, who plays guitar and keyboards.

"I'm not sure if our opportunity would be as great with major label,"
Huntley added.  "We would just be a little band that wouldn't make them a
lot of money.  But with TVT we seem to be big in their hearts and minds all
the time. The don't give us a lot of money or make a lot of promises, but
that's not what we're interested in.  We just want to be heard."

 message to [log in to unmask] or contact [log in to unmask]