CONNELLS Archives

October 1996

CONNELLS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
John Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Connells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 1996 11:24:14 +0000
> > They are all good! Trading should
> > augment your collection, not be the focal point.
>
> I have to disagree with you on this point.  The bands that I am the
> biggest fans of all allow tape trading, and I must admit that I own more
> tapes (of concerts, bootlegs if you will) of Phish, Dave Matthews as well
> as others, than albums.  The reason for this is that I believe that you
> can hear the true musicianship of bands more in concert than on studio
> albums.

Your points are well taken.  However, the reason I take this perspective
is because the vast majority of recording artists do not like being
taped (and for that matter, nearly all hate the fact that demos leak
out).  Sure, many bands don't care, and some like DMB seem to encourage
it.  That's great, and I certainly wish there were more like DMB, Phish,
etc.

Labels are the meanies behind it, but artists that are against it don't
like the fact that they can control what they feel is their artwork.  Of
course, there are many other reasons, as documented in the outstanding
book (now in paperback!) "Bootleg" by Clinton Heylin.  Please go out and
buy this book if you trade tapes:  it's worth reading.

Anyway, the reason I say this is because the reason bands tour is to
support the album (read:  spur album sales and develop fan base).  Since
this is the way they make a living, and TECHNICALLY speaking, trading is
really a gray area of copyright violation, I think we should make an
honest attempt to support bands by buying what they have for sale.

Later
John Davidson