GSCA Archives

October 2001

GSCA@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Elizabeth Cardenas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Graduate Students of Color Association <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 07:04:08 -0500

>A lot of people are under stress with the war and all.  I do believe we are
>in the "last days".  I BELIEVE SO TOO.

Keep your eyes on Jesus and His soon return! YOU DO THE SAME.

HERE ARE 2 reports about the hurricane.

  Hurricane Iris Aftermath

We have survived the hurricane but disaster and deaths down south.
The storm hit with all its strength on Monkey River, Placencia and
Independence, and Seine Bight.  90% of all buildings are destroyed,
electricity light poles down, no water, no electricity, no telephone.
11 bodies found and 11 more missing, mostly Americans but two are
Belizeans.
They were on tourist launches moored at the Pier in Big Creek.
The south of Belize is a disaster area.  "Sitting in the middle of
hell, heartrenching to hear and see people trying to salvage their
belongings".
Standing in the middle of what used to be TRADE WINDS, they lost
everything", these are comments coming over the radio right now.
Most of the peninsula is total devastation!  Most of the houses are strewned
across the beach. Only two resorts left up in Placencia - Serendipity and
Westwind (not sure of this name). Sonny's and all others completely gone.
Every building on Seine Bight also destroyed.
The water is rising in the rivers to the West, so Roaring Creek
should be under water shortly.  Everyone left Belmopan to return to Belize
City before the raising waters cut them off. The disaster continues, please
continue to pray for us.

Send Requests or Questions to
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
Damage Assessment

Monkey River Major damage in Monkey River. Most houses destroyed. Only
buildings left standing are the Community Center and the Health Center.
Silver Creek 98% of houses Destroyed. Only church building and new school
remain standing.

Hopkins village Two Restaurants Fallen into the sea: Swinging Armadillo and
Over the Waves. High tension wires down on the Southern Highway between
Hopkins Village and Silk Grass.--- GARIFUNA VILLAGES

Independence Many houses on the ground, roof of Hotel Hello blew off,
Michael Ashcroft Stadium destroyed.
Seine Bight Many Houses on the ground including the church and school
buildings

Punta Gorda Some houses lost their roofs. MY HOME TOWN WHERE MY MOTHER
LIVES. SHE IS FINE. THAN KS BE TO GOD.

Rural Toledo Thatch Houses destroyed.
San Antonio, Toledo 20 homes destroyed.
Bella Vista, Toledo Many houses destroyed
Big Falls 95% of houses destroyed. MOST OF THESE ARE MAYA INDIAN SETTLEMENTS.

Placencia 100% of properties have been damaged. Very few houses left
standing. 95% of businesses are down: THIS IS A TOURIST PARADISE.

Category 4 hurricane Iris made landfall sometime around 7:30 p.m. Monday,
October 8, 2001. It moved quickly through the area of Monkey River, Big
Creek, Independence and Placencia and by 9:30 p.m. it had already done its
damage and was heading west towards Guatemala. Reports from Placencia
indicate that many houses and about 95% of business places have been
destroyed.

UNFORTUNATELY-- YES, THEY WERE TOURISTS. IT IS HARD FOR ME TO UNDERSTAND
WHY THWY DID NOT SEEK SHELTER INLAND:  One boat Wave Dancer in the Big
Creek area reportedly overturned
during the storm. There were 28 people onboard most of whom were tourists.
At least eight have survived. Extensive damage to the banana, rice and
shrimp farming industry is also expected but is yet to be assessed.

News Flash
> >    * All classes have been canceled for Tuesday, October 9, 2001
> >    * 11 bodies recovered from overturned Wave Dancer in Big Creek port,
>11 still missing
> >    *
> > Manny Garcia
> > Project Manager
> > Submarine Cable Stations Interconnect & Equipment Implementation
> > WorldCom - International Network Engineering
> > Telephone: 972-729-7519
> > Facsimile: 972-729-7730
> > Pager:     1-800-724-3624
> > Pin:       172-4761