JOURMAJR Archives

November 2004

JOURMAJR@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Judi Hetrick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 06:53:48 -0500
Each summer, the American Society of Magazine Editors sponsors editorial
internships for college juniors. The postmark deadline in Nov. 15.

For details and application forms, go to
http://www.magazine.org/Editorial/internships/index.cfm
Miami will NOT be screening applications this year, so you need to apply
as an individual.

Even though the competition is for juniors, successful interns have
started no later than their sophomore year to build a competitive resume.
So if you are interested, take a look at what's required even if it's too
early for you to apply.

Miami students have won an internship each of the last two years.

Here's what Amanda Wolfe wrote to me about her experience as an ASME
intern at Parents magazine last summer:
"I absolutely loved my experience at Parents. It was, hands-down, the best
thing I've ever done professionally and personally as well. I was able to
establish industry contacts in New York and a network of friends who I can
rely on when I move back to the city (which I plan to do!) We got SO much
access to people who we would have never gotten to talk to otherwise (the
editor in chief of Newsweek, Glamour, Elle, Prevention, Family Circle, and
Sync, the publisher of Playboy, and top editors from literally dozens of
other magazines). At Parents I copy-edited, wrote a few short pieces,
edited letters, helped at photo shoots, called PR reps to get products,
got paid (!), and lived in New York City. It was amazing."

Good luck in the 2005 competition, juniors!