JOURMAJR Archives

February 2001

JOURMAJR@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Newberry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University Journalism Majors <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 13:56:26 -0500
Journalism students:

A couple of items of possible interest from SPJ:

* "The Media in the New Millennium" is the title of a regional convention of
SPJ, March 30-31 in Pittsburgh. The convention will attract hundreds of
working journalists and journalism students from a four-state region. Among
the sessions: Dotcom jobs; civic/public journalism, covering aviation
accidents and digital news. Speakers include a Pulitzer Prize winning
photographer and the director of the Pew Center for Civic Journalism.
Contact me at the e-mail below or at 513 631-3273 if you think you might
want to go. If there is enough interest, I am willing to drive a group over.

* On the same weekend, SPJ will host its popular National Writers' Workshop
in Indianapolis. Among the speakers: Helen Thomas, the legendary (and now
former) UPI White House correspondent; Sharon Farmer, former director of
White House photography; Anna Werner, a Houston TV reporter who broke the
Firestone tire story; and Joe Boyce, a former Time magazine writer who
covered the kidnapping of Patricia Hearst. If interest in this weekend seems
higher, I can host a group of students for that gathering.

Time of the essence on both programs. Registration is due March 22 for the
first and March 15 for the second.

Patti

Patricia Gallagher Newberry
visiting instructor of journalism