JOURMAJR Archives

December 1999

JOURMAJR@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Linda Crider <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University Journalism Majors <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 22:58:55 GMT
CityBeat is in need of several editorial interns as of the beginning of
January. Here are the descriptions:

FILM
An internship position is available to work with film editor, Steve Ramos.
This position assembles the weekly "film clock" (listings and show times
from area movie theaters) on Tuesdays, and works another day to summarize
earlier published reviews and capsules for our ongoing film listings. This
position is immediately available.

MUSIC
The music section intern works with music editor, Mike Breen, to ensure that
club listings are as up-to-date as possible. She or he is also responsible
for an amount of copy editing in the music section and for occasional fact
checking, with clubs, local bands and musicians and with recording artists.
This position is available as of the beginning of January.

CALENDAR
As many as three interns are needed to assist with the compilation of our
"Kiosk" section, that is the weekly calendar listings. This involves
organizing and coordinating a fairly steady stream of information that comes
to us by mail, fax and e-mail; calling back on occasion to clarify details;
assembling the information into the format we need to move it into the
newspaper; and updating the listings from week to week. Interns generally
come into our office (we're in downtown Cincinnati) on Wednesday and/or
Thursday afternoons to prepare materials for the issue to come out the
following week. Other responsibilities may include researching and obtaining
photos for articles in upcoming issues. (In many cases interns who show
interest and skill are given additional writing tasks.)

These positions are an opportunity for journalism majors to gain some
practical experience in the office of a working newspaper. CityBeat is now
Cincinnati's second-largest publication. We are very serious about putting
out a high quality newspaper, and we need interns who want to be part of
that effort.

To apply:
Call Assistant Editor Rick Pender (665-4700)
You'll need a resume and writing samples.