MGTDEV-L Archives

April 1996

MGTDEV-L@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Peter Pflaum <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
University Management Development discussions <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 1996 12:23:53 -0500
SYNERGY-NET on http://metro.turnpike.net/~pflaump

RE: Body-mind training:

In sports psychology, the high diver has a well educated bogy-
mind. When I sailed my sloop, the body-mind knew the wind, the
waves, the water; in tennis, in music, in typing, driving,
surfing, climbing, the body-mind knows what it is doing.

Intuitive, non-verbal knowledge ( information + practice =
understanding ) give significance and meaning to behavior beyond
going through the motions. Science, engineering, management, the
arts of medicine, music, graphics, economics, government,
politics and teaching, all involve "going beyond the information
given" based on comprehensions that are difficult to explain in
words and use more than the last few centimeters of the cortex of
the brain.

Such knowledge can be taught and learned. The profound connecting
of thinking and doing is not a mystery. Remarkable people have
always demonstrated the character integration of knowledge beyond
self, beyond ego, and beyond the information given. This can be
learned and taught. Practice of focus, of paying attention, of
relaxation, of mind control, of proactive reactions, of awareness
are all well known. The mystery is why we reject this ancient
wisdom and cling to methods that don't work.

It's weird, not the practice of meditation, but the rejection of
hatha yoga, of dance, of music to enrich the spirit, to inform
the soul and create the conditions where profound learning become
possible.

SYNERGY-NET on http://metro.turnpike.net/~pflaump
** Peter E. Pflaum Ph.D. , Headmaster GLOBAL_VILLAGE_SCHOOLHOUSE
225 Robinson Road, New Smyrna Beach, FL 32169-2176 (904) 428-9609

SYNERGY-NET on http://emporium.turnpike.net/~pflaump or
http://metro.turnpike.net/~pflaum [log in to unmask]