MGTDEV-L Archives

April 1996

MGTDEV-L@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Walter Derzko <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
University Management Development discussions <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Apr 1996 09:41:00 -0500
Re: April Mtg Creativity Consortium  LO6366 -Toronto

Peter concludes:

> A simple ( but complex ) issue is how to use methods without believing in "a
> method". There are no 12 steps, 16 principles, 9 attitudes, etc. Each case is
> different and people really have to solve their own problems. Therefore what

I agree. Wise consultants are now offering a tool kit or shopping bag
full of methods or tools. In the case of creativity/innovation many people now
recognise that not every method or approach fits all seasons, as you
point out.

The example that I use is the following. If you have a problem (deviation
from the norm or some baseline), then the CPS process ala Buffalo
State is probably the best approach. If the baseline from the previuos
example is obsolete or inadequate, then new concpts are needed, so
here I would use one of several Edward de Bono thinking tools for
concept development. If my ideal solution to a problem is a paradox or
anomaly, ie. it has to be both hot and cold or hard and soft to work,
then I would try Altshullers approach.

It all depends what your thinking goal is. That requires thinking
about thinking....or metacognition.

> can the ' wise ' teacher (consultant) do ? Since all dogma ( theology ) is
> true and also false -and becomes a new prison - process becomes the message..
> the media is the message - the relationships are the content - just like in
> physics. This is simple and hard, new and old - you know it when you see it.
> If you understand ( a little ) it is clear but if you don't you don't. The
> teachers of Socrates - talked one-on-one because the way you see the truth is
> the truth - within that context - and the way is a path not a manual.

Walter Derzko