MU-VMS Archives

July 1996

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Randy Kaelber <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University OpenVMS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 1996 15:03:52 GMT
Kent Covert ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
> VMS (C2 security) and SEVMS (B1 security) (If memory serves, only 2 systems
> have ever achieved A level security - one was a Honeywell system and I
> don't remember the other).  Many of the security features now being added

Actually I don't think any system has ever met A level specifications,
not that it really matters to most mortals. My trusty Orange Book is
nowhere near me, but I think the only difference between B2 and A is
design level specifications, such as proof of correctness of the security
model. So it's possible for a B2 certified system to become an A
certified system without changing a line of code. I believe that there
are still some requirements of A level which are still beyond the state of
the art in systems analysis, which is why no systems are yet A level. If
anyone can point me to any systems that are A level evaluated, I'd love
to see information on it. :)

--
Randy Kaelber:  [log in to unmask]
DARS Programmer/Analyst, Miami University, Oxford, OH 45056 USA

"...As the most participatory form of mass speech yet developed, the
Internet deserves the highest protection from governmental intrusion."
 -District Judge Stewart Dalzell, in ACLU et al. v. Reno, USAG; ALA Inc.,
et al. v. US DOJ et al. June 12, 1996 US District Court, Eastern PA