MU-VMS Archives

October 1996

MU-VMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Clayton L. Hines" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University OpenVMS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 1996 10:46:19 -0400
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
[log in to unmask] (Micah James Cooper) wrote:

>The IP numbers are static enough you could probably get away with putting
>a web server on your machine and making your VAX page refer to it.  Just

Oh, sure.  Go ahead and make me cringe.

>don't leave it off for over 24 hours ;)  (or, write a little script that
>if it does change, it takes the IP numbers from your current login and
>updates all your pages to reflect your new IP address).

This is what I do with my Linux box at home.  Every time I dial in, I have
it upload an HTML file (containing telnet and http links to my home
machine) to miavx1.  Just be aware that, if your machine is turned off for
a while, and your page still points to your machine's old IP address,
whoever's at the other end of that IP address is going to be getting *all
your traffic*.  Might be a really good way to tick someone off -- spamming
their connection with http requests...

You might want to make another script that will upload a web page that
says, "Sorry, but my personal box is down.  Come back later," and have it
run when you shut your machine down or whenever it's not going to be
available.  That's what I do, except when my PPP connection disappears out
from under me.

>Not the perfect solution, but if you want it today :)

No, it's not, but that's one of the little joys of academic life, isn't it?  :)

Clayton