MUEMAIL Archives

February 1994

MUEMAIL@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Miami's Electronic Mail <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 1994 13:21:35 -0400
I think this will be of special interest to Kent, Peter, Rob, Joe & Steve T.

John

Forwarded to MUEMail from info-ph:

Date: Mon, 21 Feb 1994 09:17:47 -0500
From: [log in to unmask] ("Scott M. Ballew")
Subject: RE: ph for Windows

> There are two ph clients for Windows that  I know about:  Graeme Campbell's
> phwin for WINSOCKand Winston Dang's phwin for PC-NFS.  Winson's is available
> in source code form.  Graeme's is not.  Unfortunately, Graeme's has a couple
> of bugs and he's short on time to fix them.   Winston doesn't have a PC these
> days.
>
> Does anybody know of a solid phwin or of a port of Dang's phwin to WINSOCK?

When we (Purdue) were working to bring up our Directory Service last
summer, we did some extensive work on the DOS and Windows clients to
stamp out the bugs we found, improve the connection management, get
encrypted passwords working correctly, provide the Windows client with
server-based help, provide the DOS client with editor support (when
the existing mechanism failed), provide the Windows client with
serverlist handling code, and to port both clients to the WATTCP stack,
a PD stack that allows our Netware users to run the clients on top of
a packet driver.  All this code (in source and binary form) has been
returned to UIUC and can be found on vixen.cso.uiuc.edu in the
directory net/ph/purdue.  Please note that the code is freely
available and comes without any support (though if you find a glaring
bug, we would appreciate hearing about it since we will probably want
to fix it as well).

In that same directory, by the way, you will find a "port" of the VMS
ph client that runs under Multinet, Wollongong, and UCX TCP/IP on both
a VAX and an Alpha, a version of the NeXTStep client that runs under
NeXTStep 3.x, and a locally written VM/CMS client that is currently
read-only (the write portion is under development).

Enjoy!

Scott M. Ballew
Purdue Data Network

--
Forwarded by:

                          John B Harlan
         Campus Wide Information System (CWIS) Coordinator
                    Miami University (Ohio USA)