MUEMAIL Archives

September 1997

MUEMAIL@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
CWIS Coordinator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University Electronic Mail <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 1997 09:05:41 -0500
In article <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]
(Robert E. Williams, Jr.) asked:
> What happened to vx1 yesterday afternoon? It seemed to disappear
> completely for a short while, then came back, but without interactive
> login for another short while.

The Digital OpenVMS cluster in Oxford (MiaVX1) has been suffering from an
as-yet-not-definitively-identified malaise, which has manifested itself in
significant slowdowns (to the point of near-total nonresponsiveness).  Most
often this has affected two cluster components, Sea and Stream.

Sea is the interactive machine that one logs into when one logs in to MiaVX1.
It is also the machine that hosts Miami's NetNews and World Wide Web servers.

Stream is the machine that hosts Miami's electronic Directory (PHonebook)
server and serves as Miami's Post Office system (po.muohio.edu) for eletronic
mail, such as POP (using Eudora) and IMAP.

MCIS Technical Support is working diligently with Miami's vendors (Digital, for
the OpenVMS operating system, and Cisco, for the MultiNet TCP/IP software) to
resolve these difficulties.

MCIS appreciates your patience as we work to resolve these difficulties.

John

--

          Miami University

          John B Harlan
          Campus Wide Information Systems (CWIS) Coordinator

          Client Services
          Miami Computing & Information Services (MCIS)
          201 Gaskill Hall
          Oxford, Ohio 45056-0000
          (513) 529-5330 voice  (513) 529-3052 fax
          http://www.muohio.edu/coorcwis/