MUEMAIL Archives

March 1997

MUEMAIL@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
John B Harlan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University Electronic Mail <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 1997 09:19:13 -0500
In article <[log in to unmask]>, "Joe Ceccoli"
<[log in to unmask]> asked:
> What is the difference between setting my mail program on
> miavx1.muohoio.edu and po.muohio.edu?  What is po.muohio.edu?  Thanks!

po.muohio.edu is the University's Post Office server system.  It is presently a
Digital Alpha running Digital OpenVMS and serving Post Office Protocol version
3 (POP3) e-mail as a supported service for Miami University faculty and staff
and as a test service for Miami students.  po also is serving Internet Message
Access Protocol version 4 (IMAP4) as an experimental and unsupported service
for beta test users.

po.muohio.edu is currently sized to support POP3 e-mail service for Miami
faculty and staff.  A request is pending for additional disk storage capacity
to include supported POP3 service to Miami students beginning this coming fall.

po.muohio.edu is not an interactive system so you cannot log into it.  It only
supports non-interactive connections from POP3 clients, such as the desktop
Eudora e-mail package for Macintosh and Windows computers.

The Digital OpenVMS cluster in Oxford, collectively known as MiaVX1, presently
consists of three Digital Alpha systems.  They are:
    (1)  Ocean, the batch operations systems
    (2)  Sea, the interactive system
    (3)  Stream, the non-interactive system serving as the Post Office
         system (po.muohio.edu), the electronic Directory (PHonebook)
         (ph.muohio.edu), and NetNews server (nntp.muohio.edu)

The presently supported mail program for OpenVMS (PMDF Mail) and an unsupported
but available alternative mail program (Pine) are both available on Sea, the
system you log into when you log into MiaVX1.  Sea also serves POP3 and IMAP4.

The stated direction for desktop e-mail at Miami is use of Eudora (which is
site licensed to the University) to do POP3 from po.muohio.edu (Stream).

Hope this helps :-)

John

--

          Miami University

          John B Harlan
          Campus Wide Information Systems (CWIS) Coordinator

          Miami Computing & Information Services (MCIS) Client Services
          137 Hoyt Hall
          Oxford, Ohio 45056-1618
          (513) 529-5330 voice  (513) 529-5058 fax
          http://miavx1.muohio.edu/~harlanjb/