MUMODEMS Archives

November 1997

MUMODEMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Miami's Modems <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 21:44:59 -0500
Dennis Burke <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> For the second time this week, when establishing a ppp connection I was
> assigned the same local and remote IP address (134.53.29.45).  Of course,
> this doesn't work.  Is this a problem with one particular modem?

> During busy periods there is also another? modem that gets "stuck" during
> handshake -- I am assuming this a bad modem.  This has happened quite often.
> Is there a way to check this out?

Happens quite often at Hamilton, sometimes I even get a busy signal just
once and then get through fine on the next ring everytime.

I've noticed that if I am disconnected for whatever reason and immediately
redial I usually (only once failed) get the same IP which is really handy
because Linux rlogin won't disconnect me and I can keep typing normally
after a few 'disoriented' seconds.  That really helped when I would be cut
off 3 minutes after the first connect but not subsequent. (Only happens
after I turn on my laptop, solution: leave it on 24/7, and it works fine
now.)

With as much use as the modems get, there will probably be at least one
flaky one around for a bit. (I hate the ones that don't handshake because
you have to time it so someone else calls in and gets the bad one and you
get the next one which is good.  Very hard to do but happens....) :)

--
George Greer  -  [log in to unmask]   | Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity