MUMODEMS Archives

August 1996

MUMODEMS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Kathie A Brinkman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami's Modems <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 1996 15:01:56 -0500
I apologize if this message gets posted twice, first post did not appear
to get to the news group:

Both Oxford ppp modem banks are now operational:

523-0003 - for access by off-campus phones

1-7700   - for access by on-campus phones (This number may have intermittent
           problems as we work to make it production-quality).

Please note that 523-0003 will soon (today or tomorrow) be unreachable from
ON campus and 1-7700 cannot be dialed from OFF campus.

The reason for this is the need to balance the demand between the 2 separate
modem banks and, in the case of the 523-0003 number, to conserve resources.
When an on-campus phone dials an off-campus number, one trunk line is used;
since the 523-0003 number is actually going to a phone line on-campus, another
trunk is used to come back, thus tying up 2 trunk lines for one call.

We hope to have both lines stable soon; please bear with us as we work thru
the problems.

Kathie Brinkman
Manager: Consulting & Support, Client Services, MCIS