MUSH Archives

November 1998

MUSH@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Linda J. Semesky" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University Speech & Hearing <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 22:45:49 -0500
at Philippines E-Mail Blood Bank - www.teammail.com wrote:
    Would you please be so kind as to suggest ways

> on how I could go about improving/eliciting verbal
> communication?  Where should I start?  How?  Which
> sounds?  I'm doing vocal play as she likes noise
> producing toys but she shows no interest in imitating
> the sounds produced.  SHe has good attention and sitting
> span, and is managed by an OT as well.

There is a new program out called Fast Forword that originally was
designed for dyslexics but has now been found to make a significant
impact on children with Central Auditory Processing DIsorder.  It is now
starting to be used for Autistic children with very positive results.
The computer program was developed by Dr. Tallal at Berkeley who has
done significant research on the structure of the brain.  It has been
found to actually build NEW synapses in the brain and reactivate unused
ones.  I certainly would consider it for use with such a child if she at
least can follow simple instructions.  My son made near miraculous
progress with this program in terms of getting remediation of his CAPD
issues.  Once you can get the auditory input understood and words make
sense, then the child has the tools with which to formulate expressive
language.

Hope this helps.
Linda