MUTALK Archives

October 1997

MUTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Ralph Goodpaster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University conversation <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 1997 15:19:08 -0500
Micah Cooper <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> coopermj@titan:~$ uptime
>   1:48pm  up 59 days, 20:31, 16 users,  0.08, 0.04, 0.00

> 59 days ago we had a power glitch in our server room, I believe.
> Went down.
> Came up.  Estimated down time: 15 minutes.  About 2 weeks before that, I
> rebooted it after first checking to make sure no one else was on.

Sometime at the beginning of this school year titan was down and/or
unreachable for approximately 48 hours.  I couldn't log in from my room, I
couldn't log in from the lab, I couldn't log in from miavx1.  There was
either SAS department networking problems or titan was down..  Either way
I consider this to be an unreliabe situation.  Shortly thereafter, both
Aaron Porter and myself posted questions to the newsgroups asking why
titan went down.  Neither the newsgroup or myself received an answer.
Either you have no idea the server was unreachable for approximately 48
hours or you just happened to forget to mention it in this post.  Like I
said, this is basically my definition of an unreliable service.

later, ralph