MUTALK Archives

September 1997

MUTALK@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Michael G. Jones" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miami University conversation <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 1997 11:19:21 -0500
Insight from the outside....

One of the most common reasons to fake one's return address is to
send/post SPAM, hence the reason why people get upset easily when someone
doesn't use their true address. When it comes to email, some ISP's won't
even accept your mail anymore unless your domain can be validated.  Plus,
using a false (or nickname) display name is a LOT different than using a
fake return address.

Even so, if they were experimenting, that's what test groups are for :).

P.S. How's the weather down there in Miami?  *grin*

--
Mike Jones ________ [log in to unmask] ________ http://www.biggorilla.com
"Find all you need in your mind, if you take the time" - Dream Theater