NICKNAME Archives

February 2007

NICKNAME@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Thomas Klak <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
University Community concerned about racist nickname <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 2007 12:58:13 +0000
thanks for keeping us up to date on these mascot battles, Joe.
much appreciated.

At 01:31 AM 2/17/2007, you wrote:
>According to NPR late this afternoon...also reportedly on espn today,
>and at sportillustrated.com...after 81 years the University of Illinois
>is dropping Chief Illiniwek.  The last performance will be on Wednesday,
>February 21 at the last regularly-scheduled home basketball game of the
>season.
>
>Personally I think this is finally final.  But according to the
>sportsillustrated website, two students who hope to block the action
>have filed a lawsuit against the University of Illinois.
>
>Joe

Best regards,
  -Tom

Thomas Klak
Professor of Geography, Miami University

contact information  January-July 3, 2007:

work:
Institute of Geography, University of Edinburgh
Drummond Street, Edinburgh EH8 9XP, United Kingdom
Tel: +44 131 650 8164
office hours: Tuesday 4pm-5:30pm, Room 315 in the Geography Building

home:
6/4 Warrender Park Road
Edinburgh,  EH9 1JQ, United Kingdom
Tel: +44 131 466 9291