OHIOAIR Archives

July 2001

OHIOAIR@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Cathy Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ohio Association for Institutional Research (Ohio AIR)
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 09:07:13 -0400
Lee, I would be very much interested as well, particulary with
Dick's suggestion of  seeing what it would do in IR.

What about the idea of extending the topic--more than just one
hour?  I would like to know about selling the idea, beginning one
(incl home grown vs consultant), maintenance, and its potential.
Costs to be expected for start up and maintenance, too.  How
about a whole day, with a hands on demo?

What I would REALLY like to do is teleport my schools MIS staff,
provost and financial manager up and let the OAIR show them what
it is/is not,  and its potential!

I'd settle for some really graphic comparisons of what a small scale
datawarehouse could deliver (minimal funds) and what would have
to go on with a traditional database to produce the same info.

Cathy

Date sent:              Fri, 13 Jul 2001 12:37:37 -0400
Send reply to:          "Ohio Association for Institutional Research (Ohio AIR)"              <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   Richard Stratton <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: Possible Speaker/Topic for Fall Meeting
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> Lee,
>     The University of Akron developed a Data warehouse for the
>     academic
> side in 1996-97, It includes census data enrollments, student
> demographics, enrollment data to the course section level, instructor
> data, etc. We were in the planning stages of extending this to
> financials and other areas when the PSoft conversion side-tracked
> additional development.
>     We still use this tool extensively and would be dead without it.
>     We
> are now developing an enterprise wide data warehouse out of the PSoft
> environment. That project is in its infancy and is much more extensive
> than the one we have now.
>     If you want someone to talk in visionary terms about what can be
> done in IR with data warehouses, balance scorecards, etc. Dr. Tom
> Gaylord, our VPCIO has some very interesting and visionary ideas.
>     I have not talked to him about our fall meeting, but he has
> presented at national meetings.
>
> dick
>
> Lee Mortimer wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> > I have a possible topic and speaker.  Over the past several
> > years
> > WSU has been developing a Data Warehouse.
> > The finance side of the house has had a warehouse up and
> > running for several years now with fantastic results.  Now
> > we are working on the academic side and have the "first
> > phase" up and running. A gentleman by the name of Scott Rife
> > has been the leader on the Data Warehouse project (both on
> > the finance and academic side), and I have briefly talked to
> > him, telling him about our group and what the audience may
> > expect and so on.  He has expressed some interest in maybe
> > doing a 1  (or so) hour presentation for us.  A couple of
> > questions:
> >
> > 1.     Is anyone interested in this?
> > 2. Do any of you have Data Warehouses or planning on
> > implementing a Data Warehouse?
>
> --
> Institutional Planning, Analysis, Reporting, and Data Administration
> Dr. Richard W. Stratton
> http://www.uakron.edu/iplan
>
> Associate Director for Assessment      Voice:     (330) 972-7897
> The Polsky Building Room 286F
> The University of Akron                       FAX:       (330)
> 972-5989 Akron, Ohio 44325-4712                     e-mail

Catherine S. Clark
Institutional Research
University of Rio Grande
Rio Grande OH 45674

(740) 245-7532 voice, 7045 fax

"I have yet to find the man, however exalted his station,
who did not do better work and put forth greater effort
under a spirit of approval than under a spirit of
criticism." - Charles Schwab