OHIOAIR Archives

November 2011

OHIOAIR@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Tom Prendergast <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ohio Association for Institutional Research (Ohio AIR)
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2011 09:44:15 -0500
Hello,

I had a question probably more for the colleagues in the 2-year sector, though I'll welcome input from anyone if relevant.

We are trying to develop a regular term reporting system for calculating enrollment yield rates. In the research we've conducted on methodology and logic, most of what we've found appears geared on an annualized cycle for universities. Further, we haven't found the magic "spec guide" to deal with all the what-if scenarios. If you have dealt with methdology/logic on the following such questions, we'd love to hear your advice:

1. Do you have a documented methodology for calculating term yield rates?

2. Assuming you request a "start term" on the application, if the student enrolls, but in a different term, how does that impact the yield calculation? For example, if a student indicates a fall start but then enrolls in the preceding summer, are they counted within the fall yield - what if the student indicates a fall start, begins the preceding summer, but does not end up attending in the fall which is the term for which the originally applied?

3. When a student has multiple active applications on the system, how do you sort for yield calculation? Do you pick the most current? This is more problematic when attempting to calculate historic yield rates. If I have an application on file for a student indicating a Fall 2009 start and another application indicating a Fall 2010 start, do I count the first application when calculating a Fall 2009 admissions yield and count the second application when calculating a Fall 2010 admissions yield?

4. There is some thought that certain application types should not be included when calculating yield. Examples of these include dual credit/high school student applications or applications from students indicating a transient status. Do you agree that certain applications should be excluded from yield calculation, and if so, what are your thoughts on the types that should be excluded?

Thanks so much for your thoughts.

Tom Prendergast
Director of Institutional Research North Central State College
2441 Kenwood Circle
Mansfield, OH 44906
Telephone: 419-755-4712
Toll Free: 888-755-4899