OHIOFIRE Archives

January 2000

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Robert J. Farris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 08:45:36 -0700
I am interested in what standards are used in the area (NFPA, BOCA.....)
and what, if any, enforcement authority the municipality has on this
campus?  Also, was the dorm sprinkled, and did the alarm system send a
signal to the local or municipal fire dept?  If the alarm was strictly
local, how much time elapsed before fire/rescue was initiated?  I realize
that this event is quite recent and the investigation is most likely still
in progress, but would appreciate any information that is available.  Has
anyone else ever experienced the lack of response to a fire alarm because
"we thought it was just another false alarm"?  Just another false alarm,
NEVER, not us!

At 08:42 AM 01/19/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>The fire occurred at Seton Hall Univ in South Orange.  The Story is on
>htpp://wire.ap.org/apnews/
>under New Jersey news.   The students apparently thought it was a false alarm
>at first.
>
>Dan Jones wrote:
>
> > Seton Hall?

Rob Farris