OHIOFIRE Archives

January 2001

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Richard Wadleigh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 12:37:59 -0500
Penalties or Fines issued against the institution are the responsibility of the department(s) involved and the Safety Office.

If we (the institutions) assess fines against students, they are issued by the student discipline system and handled as a debt owed the state/university if not paid.

These are generally set by the campus discipline board, but in some cases, Residence Life has established a fine in advance that are published in the student handbooks (much like scheduled fines for some types of traffic violations).

EH&Safety / fire prevention staff sometimes get called to "testify" at hearings, but do not handle any collection or setting of penalties.

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/05/01 11:59AM >>>
Hi everybody, the question for the list I have today is, who is responsible for imposing fines and penalties related to fire and safety at your institution or facility after an inspection has been performed.
Also who enforces this once the fines have been imposed on a student.
What further actions do you take if the student does not correct the violation. Is it the responsibility of the Fire and Safety person,The SLC,Dean of Students or who. Does anyone hyave a fine list that they would like to share? We are still trying to get all our safety programs started up and running here. If anyone can give me some answers or assistance in this I would greatly appreciate it.

                                         Thanks:

--
Tim Miller  /Maint. Dept. / Fire and Safety Coordinator
University of Rio Grande