OHIOFIRE Archives

January 2001

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Ed Comeau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 14:41:39 -0500
A study commissioned by the Connecticut state legislature has called for the
installation of sprinklers in college residence halls.  The following is a
quote from the report:
------------------------
This report recommends changes be made to Connecticut General Statute §
29-315 and the Connecticut State Fire Safety Code, Section 7-7.1.5
authorizing the following:

Every public and private institution of higher education responsible for the
housing of its students shall develop and implement a plan for the
installation of an automatic extinguishing system in those residential
facilities.  Not later than October 1, 2003 each institution shall submit to
the Commissioner of Higher Education and the State Fire Marshal such plan
for their approval.  The Commissioner of Higher Education and the State Fire
Marshal will review them based on each institution’s schedule for the
overall campus plan of development, including alterations, additions,
renovations and modernization of the facilities. Upon approval, each
institution’s plan becomes the requirement for compliance with the
Connecticut State Fire Safety Code for that facility.

This recommendation takes into consideration that the overall costs
associated with providing fire safety and protection, and the expected
losses from the effects of fire should both be minimized.  It’s intent is to
provide that acceptable level of fire safety. It is further recommended that
funding for these projects be of the highest priority.

I'm in the midst of shifting over to a new computer system so I can't put
the report up on the website right now.  If anyone would like a copy of the
report, please contact me and I will email it to you.

Ed Comeau
Publisher
Campus Firewatch
http://www.campus-firewatch.com