OHIOFIRE Archives

October 2001

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Randy Shebby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 07:51:08 -0400
Jim

A siren would probably be the most cost effective and expedient approach. Is
it possible to use the existing fire sirens with a noticeably different tone
or series?  Other than that, I would consider using all the remaining
communication systems available. A flashing warning icon on the university
main web page, automated phone dialers to main departments, college radio or
tv station broadcast, and  police and fire vehicles with PA systems.

The problem with the rest of these systems is that they are only really
effective during daylight hours. Tornados appear very quickly, however, we
are usually aware of at least the potential for bad weather well in advance.
(This isn't always the case in the midwest where storms can develop rather
quickly.) I would - as an initial step - have a flashing emergency warning
icon on the main web page. This would at least advise people to pay
attention to weather reports. An emergency flashing icon would also be a
good idea for something like bomb threats where use of the alarm system,
telephone, or radios is not advisable.  Good Luck and glad to see you made
it through ok.

Randy Shebby
Occupational Safety Manager
Lehigh University