OHIOFIRE Archives

January 2000

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Teresa Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 10:06:39 -0800
[log in to unmask] writes:
>What type has worked? What kind of
>damage/compliance?Difficulty in enforcement?
>Have they helped in any fire
>situation? Any feedback would be helpful.
>
>Denis Zietlow
>Fire Marshal
>Michigan State University

Denis,

I am not involved with the dorms at my job, but with the science labs.
The Fire Code requires automatic door closures on all fire doors, or if
doors are propped open, that they close automatically in the event the
fire alarm is activated.  We do not have the automatic closing type, and
have a terrible problem with the doors being propped open.  Most of the
time they are propped in the name of convenience, but sometimes because
the labs are too hot or too smelly.

A couple of years ago, there was a fire on a weekend in a lab at UCLA that
was contained to two rooms because the fire doors were closed.  In the lab
setting in particular, it is best the doors are shut at all times to
contain contaminants in the event of an incident.

Teresa Robertson, CCHO
CSUB