OHIOFIRE Archives

January 2000

OHIOFIRE@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Mark Cavanaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 09:39:00 -0500
At the University of Rochester we do not allow the use of candles
except for religious purposes. This exception is really applicable for
our hospital where we have patients that are here during their
religious holidays (ie: Hanuka) We do impose requirements such
as the candle can only be lit during the prayer, it must be
continuously supervised when lit, it must be on a non-combustible
surface, the patient can not be on oxygen and no combustibles
such as drapes nearby, etc.
A follow up to John's question is, what do you do about dining
facilities, both student and faculty. I'm running into issues where
the faculty club want to have candles on the table for events such
as Christmas or the Dean want to have a special dinner with
candles. What are other colleges doing with those politically
sensitive events?

Date sent:              Thu, 6 Jan 2000 15:05:57 -0500
Send reply to:          International Association of Campus Fire Safety Officials
From:                   John Basher <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Regulations for candles in Residential Life buildings on campus
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> This year during the semester break we inspected all residential rooms for
> fire safety violations.  This year we had over 100% more living areas than
> last year with candles in them...
> I would like to find out what other Universities and Colleges have for
> regulations for candles in student's rooms.
> John Basher
> Assistant Director of Fire Safety
> Colgate University
> 13 Oak Drive