PARTNERS Archives

November 2012

PARTNERS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

The Partners Project <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Nov 2012 19:11:51 -0800
Rodney,

This is the topic these three students are working on. They do appear to
have dropped the cultural differences component of the topic, in part I
understand because other students were not interested in pursuing this
topic at their local level. The three of them are working together and I
want to encourage them to continue with their project of interest.

> [...]
>> from the UVIC Bookstore we would like to investigate, and have contacted
>> the person in charge of ordering for the bookstore who makes decisions
>> about suppliers and the “UVIC” brand.
>>
>> Michelle – Marketing:
>> Research university products, how they are marketed. “Desgined in
>> Canada”
>> and “Eco/Sustainable” labels on clothing and school supplies. How
>> sustainable are these products really in terms of how they are actually
>> being produced? Literature on greenwashing and other “socially
>> minded”
>> marketing practices will be key in making the link between academic
>> literature and what is happening on the ground.
>>
>> Jesse – Outsourcing/Globalization:
>> In our preliminary research we discovered that almost all of the
>> products
>> sold at the UVIC Bookstore are produced overseas and then shipped to
>> Canada/Victoria. Jesse will research the globalization of textile and
>> goods production, looking into the companies that supply UVIC with their
>> branded goods and also on contemporary literature about globalized
>> production of textiles and goods.
>>
>> Mikaila – University “Branding/Corporatization” and who makes the
>> decisions at UVic about where our goods come from:
>> Literature research into the corporatization/ branding of North American
>> Universities. Connecting this phenomenon to globalization and other
>> power
>> structures and economic pulls. Mikaila is also our point-person in
>> charge
>> of contacting and maintaining dialogue with the person in charge of
>> ordering at the bookstore.
>>
>> Each of us will submit our own papers to our professor, and as the final
>> portion of our project we hope to come together and write an article or
>> OP
>> ed for the student newspaper at UVic, The Martlet. I also know that you
>> are expecting a list of all the sources we are going to use for this
>> project. At the moment, we are still gathering relevant sources, but we
>> will e-mail them to you Enzo, and/or also cross post them to the NING
>> group site.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Michelle Moreno
>>
>>> Tim. Do the best that you can. Look at the task. See what can be
>>> accomplished and do it.  Most projects star off way more ambitiously
>>> then
>>> realistically can be accomplished. R
>>>
>>> Rodney
>>>

>>> Substitutions, typos, and etc curtesy of smart technology that makes
>>> dumb
>>> mistakes.
>>>
>>> On Nov 9, 2012, at 10:19 AM, "Timothy Thilberg"
>>> <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I must admit I’m a bit speechless at this proposal. A project of
>>> this
>>> magnitude I must say is a bit atypical for an undergraduate class
>>> 50% larger than anything I have ever written), albeit slightly less so
>>> at
>>> the senior level. With that in mind, this is almost beyond challenging
>>> given we are now just 3 weeks from the end of the term and still
>>> discussing topics/trying to contact members. Had this been the case, I
>>> would have liked to begin something like this back in
>>> September…since
>>> this will involve several hundred pages of unplanned reading and
>>> research.
>>> As much as I welcome a challenge and am interested in the subject
>>> matter
>>> -- and I can only speak for myself, but short of quitting both my jobs
>>> and
>>> dropping a class, I at least don’t see myself being able to
>>> produce
>>> anything that would equate to quality work of this length. What are
>>> everyone else’s thoughts?
>>>
>>> Timothy Thilberg
>>> Miami University of Ohio, Senior (2013)
>>> Sociology/Criminology
>>> [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> || (513)-967-1215
>>>
>>> "Go to college. Get an education. Understand the law, the profession,
>>> and
>>> our constitution so you understand your responsibility to the people
>>> and
>>> the trust you are granted - and stay true to it." - Sheriff Dave Brown

>>> it. I think it is very possible that we can still be successful with
>>> this,
>>> and we’re going to make sure that we push forward and spell out
>>> what is
>>> expected of everyone. With this in mind, I’m going to ask this
>>> of the G1
>>> group:
>>>

>>> A)    ASAP we need at least a bibliographical outline or synopsis of
>>> what
>>> each person plans to investigate. MUOhio is the only one to report in
>>> and
>>> Milano has pretty much indicated their preferred topics. We have yet to
>>> get much of substance at all from UVIC.
>>>
>>> B)    Once A is accomplished, I think it would then be very easy to
>>> come
>>> up with an introduction and conclusion to our research. With the actual
>>> results in mind, it may be hard to craft a conclusion, but I think at
>>> this
>>> point we should be evaluating how either roadblocks or characteristics
>>> of
>>> Cultural Differences create global or multinational issues.
>>>
>>> C)    By 13-16 Nov, we should see full annotations on the articles
>>> students plan to use for their individual assignments. This would
>>> provide
>>> opportunities for collaboration, revision, or refinement of topics.
>>>
>>> D)    By 23 Nov, we should see research results in the range of a 2-4?
>>> page article from each student
>>>
>>> E)     By 28 Nov, we should have a fully-compiled collaborative written
>>> work, which can then be contributed to each of the groups for review.
>>> Additionally, each group from each University should submit the video
>>> of
>>> the presentation on each of their findings.
>>>
>>> F)     By 5 Dec, the final project complete with the written work and
>>> compiled video will be submitted.
>>>
>>> Does this all seem agreeable/on par/doable?
>>>
>>> Best Regards,
>>>
>>> Timothy Thilberg
>>> Miami University of Ohio, Senior (2013)
>>> Sociology/Criminology
>>> [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> || (513)-967-1215
>>>
>>> "Go to college. Get an education. Understand the law, the profession,
>>> and
>>> our constitution so you understand your responsibility to the people
>>> and
>>> the trust you are granted - and stay true to it." - Sheriff Dave Brown

>>> trafficking (prostitution). 2) one organization and how they are trying
>>> combat the issue. Discuss possible drawbacks to their approach and
>>> analyze
>>> whether it is effective. 3) the human trafficking hotline - discuss how
>>> effective/ineffective this tool is in stopping trafficking. For
>>> instance,
>>> see if there are a variety of language options or if you have to speak
>>> English.
>>>
>>> Brian Drain: It only has two students. Ana Murillo from Texas has not
>>> replied to e-mail inquiries. I have e-mailed both of them but have not
>>> yet
>>> received a response. David Scrivener from my institution, noted that
>>> they
>>> have had some e-mail exchange, but Murillo does not seem very prompt in
>>> her responses. Since they do not use NING to communicate, it is
>>> difficult
>>> for me to know how their project is advancing.
>>>
>>> Broadly speaking, I've instructed students to begin doing their
>>> research
>>> and that they are expected to submit initial findings on the 16th.
>>>
>>> Sarah
>>> On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 8:34 AM, Coates, Rodney D. Dr.
>>> <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>>> Enzo. I Will relY this to my students today. Thanks. T
>>>

>>> Rodney,
>>>

>>> Typos, strange insertions, and garbled communication courtesy of smart
>>> technology that males dumb mistakes.

>>> di