PARTNERS Archives

April 1998

PARTNERS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Vincent Parrillo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Partners Project <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 1998 15:11:58 -0500
Only have time for a brief and partial reply.  To questions 1 and 2,
this is negotiable among the students.  They reach out and try to find
partners and agree to the conflict.  They distribute the A,B,C tasks
among themselves HOWEVER all students are responsible for the quality of
the entire project.  They must critique each other's contributions (scope
and depth of content, clarity and effectiveness of expression, etc.).
While instructors vary in their grading evaluations, I give two grades:
one for what my students did themselves and the other for the overall
quality of  the project.  The intent here is to get students working
cooperatively and  assuming responsibility for their partners' work as
well as their own, even suggesting grades for their partners (that often
lights a fire under some).  If they encounter problems, it gives them
firsthand experience in conflict resolution with their team members,
while they alert us so we instructors serve as facilitators and let other
instructors know of the problem.

The entire project A,B and C in a unified manner posted on Forum (rough
drafts in direct e-mail only among student teams) should be done by the
end of April or first week in May at the latest.

Length of each section hard to determine, but the overall project, in
my opinion (others may disagree), should be 12 to 15 pages (250 words a
page).

Of immediate importance, the project partners should be finalized within
the next week to 10 days.

What do others think?

                                        Vince Parrillo