PARTNERS Archives

October 2010

PARTNERS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
John Dale <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Partners Project <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 2010 11:42:30 -0400
I like the assignments as well. Last year we did something very similar to the Case Study assignment, and it worked very well. HOWEVER, Bruce is right to raise the issue of coordinating assignments across universities with very different schedules. Moscow, for instance, has already started their class. It is a year-long course. We will be joining them for the equivalent of an academic quarter, but our own course runs for a semester. (Next Fall, when we teach this course again, we will be working with them for the equivalent of an academic semester.) I am concerned about foisting upon their students too many required assignments this Spring, but have no problem with holding my own students to these requirements. I was planning to have the students in Moscow participate in the blogging, reflections on common readings, etc, but leave up to their professor the idea of requiring major assignments. They may already be developing research papers which might be comparable to the case
 studies, in which case they could post them at the conclusion of their course, but the key is remaining flexible on large assignments.  I would propose that the syllabus offer these assignments as suggestions that some courses will be adopting (this year), but also emphasize that different professors will likely adapt or re-work these assignments to meet the specific needs of their own local conditions and course.

John Dale
George Mason University

John G. Dale
Assistant Professor
Department of Sociology and Anthropology,
Affiliate Faculty for the Institute for Conflict Analysis & Resolution,
Associate Faculty of the Center for Global Studies, and the Center for Justice, Law, and Society
George Mason University
4400 University Drive, MS 3G5
Robinson Hall B, Rm. 314
Fairfax, Virginia 22030 USA