PARTNERS Archives

August 2013

PARTNERS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Matias E Margulis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Partners Project <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 2013 09:47:46 -0700
Hi everyone,

I am very happy we are building in more flexibility - I like that
students have negotiate among themselves whether they will “pool risk”
in a wiki or take the more traditional route.

But the text on the Group Project is confusing to with respect to the
assignments to me. I am looking for clarification

In the intro paragraph we state students will write a traditional
essay or Wikipedia project. Then in the paragraph for the service
learning students will “write a group reflection paper”.  Does this
mean we expect just for the service learning a) 10 hours +
volunteering; 2) a group reflection paper; c) individual student’s
essay or a group wiki; and d) in-class presentation of the group
project (which is not mentioned here but only for case study option).
Is this correct?

For the case study it states there is a presentation but whether the
presentation is just something they do the last week of class or how
this relates to the options for either individual’s essays or a
collaborative wiki is missing.

For me a wiki or MS powerpoint or Prezi are just different forms of
collecting and synthesizing information.  But we should make it clear
that there is a difference between the product and what they actually
present to the class at the end [which should be a summary of the
project not the project itself, right?].

 So are we talking about:

1) Service learning:

            route a) traditional essays +  collaborative presentation
of the group in some visual form

            route b) wiki/powerpoint/prezi + collaborative
presentation of the group in some visual form

2) Case study

            route a) traditional essays +  collaborative presentation
of the group in some visual form

            route b) wiki/powerpoint/prezi + collaborative
presentation of the group in some visual form

I just want to make sure I am clear on the structure of the
assignments so I can properly instruct my students and work with my
faculty papers.

Matias

--
Matias E. Margulis, PhD
Assistant Professor

Latest Publications:

“The Regime Complexity for Food Security: Implications for the Global
Hunger Challenge,” Global Governance 19(1): 53-67.

“Land Grabbing and Global Governance: Critical Perspectives” (with
Nora McKeon & Saturnino M. Borras Jr.), Globalizations 10(1): 1-23

“Governing the Global Land Grab: Multipolarity, Ideas and Complexity
in Transnational Governance” (with Tony Porter) Globalizations 10(1):
65-86.