RESCOMP Archives

April 2006

RESCOMP@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Research Computing Support <[log in to unmask]>, Robin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Apr 2006 19:10:50 -0400
Dr. Keeler,

Glad that my lowly advise works. I whole-heartedly agree that it
needs to be documented and communicated to different users.

>>> 3. Via both Mac X11 and Cygwin/X, the application xstata crashes
>>> as  soon as I click on a menu title. The program quits with the
>>> error:
>>>
>>> Gdk-ERROR **: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
>>>   serial 2002 error_code 3 request_code 38 minor_code 0
>>> Gdk-ERROR **: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)
>>>   serial 2003 error_code 10 request_code 102 minor_code 0
>>
>>    When using Mac, please use the ssh -Y (rather than X). '-Y'
>> enables Trusted X11 Forwarding.
>>      Not sure which SSH client you have when using Windows.
>>    Start Cygwin X Server. If you use Putty, under 'Connection' ->
>> SSH -> Tunnels:
>>          * Check 'Enable X11 Forwarding'
>>    Which SSH client do you have for Windows ?
>
> I had installed Cygwin, X11, and OpenSSH on a lab machine to test
> X11 from Windows XP. So I was opening a bash shell terminal window
> and typing "ssh -X ..." I'll try "ssh -Y ..." the next time I have
> a chance. I did not know that Putty had X11 forwarding.
>
> What X Server do you recommend for MS Windows? I suppose if anyone
> is savvy enough to use the HPC, they are savvy enough to install
> Cygwin/X. I've seen mention of Hummingbird eXceed, but don't know
> if we have a license.

I will stick to Cygwin/X11 package work just fine. These days, free
software is 10 times better than its closed-source counterpart and a
lot less hassle to install.

The reason I asked for the SSH package is that we might need to setup
different steps (for for different SSH clients).
Right now, we  readily have instructions for the Putty client.
Different SSH clients certainly has different places (or command line
flags) to specify X11 forwarding.

More documentation will be helpful. Apologize for the lack of it now.

Thanks,
Robin