RESCOMP Archives

April 2006

RESCOMP@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Research Computing Support <[log in to unmask]>, Robin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Apr 2006 00:30:48 -0400
Dr. Keeler,

> 1. After I first requested my account via the web, I could not login
> via ssh without X11. My connection was always "reset by peer." After
> I had logged in once via X11 and "ssh -X", I could then login via ssh
> without X11.
>
> FYI, I didn't wait the 10 minutes to try to login, so perhaps it is
> just coincidence that logging in finally "took" when I tried ssh -X.
> But I do know my password was registering, because I would be told to
> try again if I intentionally mistyped my password.

Yes. It's a coincidence. We cron a job every 10 minutes to fetch login
information from the website.
The error message was expected when you authenticated succesfully but
not yet authorized.

> 2. Via X11 in Mac OS X 10.4.6, I cannot get Matlab to draw properly.
> Only the upper left corner is drawn, about 1 inch down and 2 inches
> across (I can see the first 3 letters of the Windows menu title).
> Reaction to clicking on a menu title is very slow also.

    I've seen the X weirdly misbehaving when using Mac. We may have to
file a bug report to Matlab on this one.
    All my other X-Apps,  tunnel under SSH, draws perfectly fine.

> 3. Via both Mac X11 and Cygwin/X, the application xstata crashes as
> soon as I click on a menu title. The program quits with the error:
>
> Gdk-ERROR **: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
>   serial 2002 error_code 3 request_code 38 minor_code 0
> Gdk-ERROR **: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)
>   serial 2003 error_code 10 request_code 102 minor_code 0

    When using Mac, please use the ssh -Y (rather than X). '-Y' enables
Trusted X11 Forwarding.

    Not sure which SSH client you have when using Windows.
    Start Cygwin X Server. If you use Putty, under 'Connection' -> SSH
-> Tunnels:
          * Check 'Enable X11 Forwarding'
    Which SSH client do you have for Windows ?

Thanks,
Robin