RESCOMP Archives

March 2006

RESCOMP@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Research Computing Support <[log in to unmask]>, Robin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2006 10:06:54 -0500
> I had this problem last week so I compiled once with the i-static
> flag (to avoid the use of the imf lib). After I used
> this option and recompiled without it, my codes run
> fine ?????????????  so this is odd and needs further
> investigation. I just re-run it today and did not have problems.

This is totally expected. Here is the explanation:  There are couple
ways to link programs in C/C++ to link libraries.

The '-i-static' flag tells the compiler to produce a binary with all
the library information in there (hence the binary is bigger).
Therefore you don't need to link it dynamically (which
LD_LIBRARY_PATH and /etc/ld.so.conf).

Some libs only available for dynamic linking and some only available
for static linking. Many provide both but there are no gurantees.

There are pros and cons to different linking method. Notably, if
there are bugs on a lib, changing one dynamic linking
lib file will fix the entire issues, rather than recompiling all apps
that you have.

It's totally separate issue altogether of needing to pass in a
separate env variable.

Thanks,
Robin