RESCOMP Archives

July 2009

RESCOMP@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Mueller, Jens" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Research Computing Support <[log in to unmask]>, Mueller, Jens
Date:
Tue, 14 Jul 2009 15:11:26 -0400
Bill,

Here is an earlier email conversation between you and Dave Woods that describes an issue which is potentially related to your current one.
Here, some odd characters in the script may have caused it to fail.

In general, once you submit a script it should go from the queuing mode "Q" to the run mode "R" pretty much immediately, since the cluster is not too busy right now (check with qstat). When the job has been accepted to "run" there will be files written upon its termination, regardless of whether the execution of the program(!) failed or succeeded.

If you submit scripts, similar to the one below, to the queue repeatedly you should be getting error messages for each of the submissions, in case the program fails to execute (in the directory you submitted the job from with qsub).
So, to reproduce your observation that multiple jobs can't be launched concurrently, I suggest to submit a number of jobs through a script similar to the one below and monitor the queue via qstat. Upon acceptance into the run status, if one or more fail to execute, I will need to examine the output .o and .e files that have been created to make an assessment of what has gone wrong.

Please let me know if you need more details.

Jens