RESCOMP Archives

October 2007

RESCOMP@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Woods, David M. Dr." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Research Computing Support <[log in to unmask]>, Woods, David M. Dr.
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2007 08:02:59 -0400
Hi,

  To activate your account on the cluster, visit http://netapps.muohio.edu/phpapps/grid/index.php and login with your standard Miami uniqueID and password.  About 10 minutes after you successfully login to the site, your cluster account should be active.  This site is also where you can sponsor accounts for students, etc.

  I'm attaching a couple of documents.  One is an overview of the cluster and another documents how to connect to the cluster from a Windows PC.  It mentions PuTTY as an ssh client and Xming for Xwindows, but you can use other programs if you'd like - I believe that many machines in SEAS have Cygwin installed and it offers similar functionality to PuTTY and Xming.  If you are connecting from a Linux or Mac, the process is simpler - just ssh to "redhawk.hpc.muohio.edu".

  For RepeatMasker - I don't know that anyone one campus is using this software.  It is not currently installed on the cluster - would you like us to install this package?  If you haven't already met Chun Liang in the Botany department, he is the main bioinformatics user on the cluster and if anyone on campus has worked with this package, he is the most likely person.

If you would like, I would be happy to meet with you sometime to talk about how the Research Computing Support group could help you with your research.

Dave

David Woods, Ph.D
Assistant Director for Research Computing
347 Gaskill Hall
Miami University
(513) 529-1857