SAKAIALL Archives

October 2010

SAKAIALL@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Bruce D'Arcus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
IT Services Sakai Team <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 2010 09:51:36 -0400
On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 9:02 AM, Gord, Suzanne Janet <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> If you haven't already, I'd encourage anyone involved in online course
> development to join the Distance Learning Group that was started after the
> Denver Conference this year.  It's a great way to see what others are doing
> and become a part of the community. You can join at:
> http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/PED/Distance+Learning+Group. One
> pertinent conversation going on last summer was structuring online courses
> in Sakai using Melete as well as other tools designed for e-learning. The
> notes from that brainstorming session are at
> http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/PED/Distance+Learning+Subgroup+-+Initial+Brainstorming

Yes, the community aspect of Sakai is a real differentiator.

I went along with Suzanne and a few other people on this list to the
conference in Denver, and I noticed that while the majority of people
there were IT and IT service staff, there were a number of faculty as
well, and these people had a voice in future directions for Sakai.*

I believe the DL group is a sub-group of the Teaching & Learning
Group, which you can find out about here:

<http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=21954623>

Most of these community groups also have periodic conference calls.

Not everyone has time to get involved, but if you have a particular
passion or issue you're concerned about, it can't hurt to at least
sign up for a list to keep up with what people are doing/talking
about.

Also, for the UI team, I posted a question on this issue of grouped
and sequenced activities on twitter, and got a reply from Clay
Fenlason, who is the product manager for Sakai. He suggested taking a
look at a particular SCORM solution:

<http://www.edia.nl/en/scorm-plugfest>

I don't really know, but If the existing Blackboard courses that use
this sort of approach can export their content as SCORM, that might be
an easy way to migrate that content to Sakai?

Bruce

* I posted some notes on the conference
at<http://community.muohio.edu/blogs/darcusb/archives/2010/06/18/sakai-2010-conference-impressions>
--